Originary from the little town of Saint Laurent les Batons in Dordognem the Deldevert family gave birth to Jacques on April 10th, 1926 close to Versailles in Fontenay le Fleury.
At the end of World War 2, Jacques Deldevert is accepted at the building school of Bagnolet, which afterwards he accepted a job offer in Guadeloupe. The mission was a short term contract, he would also have to take care of the roadworks and he’ll sell charcoal too, to survive.
Fortunatly, he’ll meet Mister Petrelluzzi, who will offer him to do some works for him. Jaques Deldevert built the first modern buildings of the Frebault Street in Pointe-a-Pitre and after his mentor recommandations, he decided to start his own building company.
NO EXISITING ROAD
STILL VISIBLE CONSTRUCTIONS
In our days, many of Jacques Deldevert’s construction are still visible. Schools, houses, Saba’s hospital, even French Quarter’s catholic church and the Calvary at the bottom of Fort Louis, to name just a few. But the businessman, doesn't just build buildings, he participates in major works that will help to break the isolation of Saint Martin, as the modernization of the communication axes, by paving the road from Cole Bay to Philipsburg, and also the one connecting Marigot to Grand Case.
From 1957, the first Americans tourists came along and gave a new breath to the economy of Saint-Martin. Jacques Deldevert even received many orders from the « Miami billionaires club », to build private villas in Low Lands. In 1964 he built, with the help of new employees, the hotel Le Pirate on the Marigot beach, as well as the building housing the sub-prefecture. We also owe to Mister Deldevert a shelter for the first telephone links from Saint Martin. Between 1961 and 1964, he will also install the first electric and telephone poles.